A Bad Night’s Sleep


After staying up an hour past when I normally go to bed the other night, Dana and I talked for a good while. (I love these talks. They are some of the best time that we share and really communicate.) Because I get up at 5:00 normally, this means I went to bed at 10:30 and we probably talked until 11:00.

Some time around 3:30 in the morning, Naomi decides she’s awake and is happily chattering away in her crib. Three Thirty in the Morning. The baby monitor makes it pretty hard to not know that she’s awake, so I lie there, listening to her talk to all her stuffed animals in her bed.

Then, I realize that my ear itches. Normally, this would not be a big deal; Step 1) scratch ear without thinking much about it, Step 2) forget. However, around this time last year, Dana had an ant crawl into her ear (you can read more about that here and here). And we’ve been seeing ants around the house a little bit again this year. So in my tired, but awake state, I pretty much convinced myself that there could be an ant trying to get in my ear, and I kept thinking about it, and trying to block/clean out/scratch my ear. Which only tickled it more, which made me think even more that there could be an ant trying to get into my ear… (repeat until insanity ensues).

When I had turned down the monitor so that I could only hear Naomi if she yelled, and fully convinced myself of the complete lack of insects anywhere near my ear, I almost got back to sleep. Except I realized I had to pee. I hesitated, because I didn’t want Naomi to hear the toilet flush, and think I was up and coming to get her. But eventually I had to do what I had to do. After I did, the cat (who does NOT sleep in our room, because he likes to lick us and sleep on our heads) thought it was time for me to get up and he started meowing, expecting me to feed him and give him access to our bedroom (which is what happens every morning after I wake up).

After a while, Naomi’s happy chatter woke up Dana and she went and turned off the monitor. At which point, I noticed it was about 5 minutes until the alarm would go off.