I often have the urge to create things. Things that will be useful, helpful and hopefully aesthetically pleasing. So I’ve decided to just do more of that. However, stuff breaks too, so I’m not going to just make new things, I’m going to fix old things, too. I have done that at least as long as I’ve owned a house, but I’m going to try to be more intentional about it, and life tends to give me frequent opportunities. This is kind of like Dana’s 52home project, but I don’t know if it will happen more or less often than every week. I suppose it is a celebration of the mundane things in life, and how fortunate I am to be able to attend to them.
My guitar amplifier has a built-in vibrato effect and a built-in reverb effect, which can be switched on and off by the use of a foot-switch. Such a foot-switch originally came with the amplifier, back in the late 60s/early 70s when it was made. But since that time, it has become lost/stolen/broken/who knows.
I decided that I would build one. I looked up the schematics, and it is really as simple as two on/off switches. I went ahead and bought the switch components for like $3 each. But the rest was free *. For a housing, I used an old cinnamon tin, for a cable I used some twisted-pair phone wire. I hijacked some RCA cable ends from an old RCA cable that was too short to be useful for anything else, and I made some little “feet” for it from some rubber grommets that I had. There is some bracing on the inside that I made from an old bracket that I had (the cinnamon tin, while sturdy, was probably not sturdy enough to stand up to repeated stomping). I could have purchased one that would have worked for nearly $40, and an “authentic re-issue replica” for like $80. But I knew I could do it for cheap, and I think it turned out well.
* Or as good as free. Some parts were truly free – I inherited them, they were a gift, or junk that someone left behind. Other parts I had purchased two or more years ago, for other projects, and that is a lot like “free”.